Monday, November 16, 2015

PDX VegVest 2015





https://nwveg.org/vegfest
*Photo credits to Lynn Sargent*


Over the weekend VegFest took place at the Oregon Convention center for it's 11th(!) year. I had went last year, but was only around for a scant few hours, so this year I decided to volunteer for NWVEG all day, and helped from 11am-7:30pm on Sunday the 15th. Saturday was full with weekly Food Not Bombs pickups from PSU farmers market, otherwise I probably would have attended both days.




I dressed as my Halloween inspired alter-ego "The Mighty Vegan", and it was a total blasty blast! Initially I floated around, checking in with some samples(nom nom nom) and booths, making sure to touch base with the animal rights/environmental booths especially, like No New Animal Lab and Unitarian Universalist Animal Ministry.  While I applaud the more mainstream food vendors and product booths for helping spread veganism, I feel very strongly we should expand ourselves to the full spectrum of wholesome living, not just on the diet trends, so it's nice to see a smattering of conscious raising booths represented. It's too bad FNB once again didn't have a booth, we seem to forget about setting that up ahead of time...maybe in 2016....there is a huge vegan crossover with FNB- one that speaks to the more radical segment especially.

Then I ended up doing a brief shift at a recycling station near the food court, though I started to feel a bit underutilized. Luckily, I made a request to shift positions, and was graciously relocated to the Kids zone area, handing out apple samples, and being a goodwill ambassador. Photo ops were also pretty fun, must have been a dozen or more people who posed with me.



Apple Samples!



I didn't get a chance to check out any speakers or films, but I did give my regards to Robert Cheeke and his PlantBuilt  buddies. He's one of the first well-known vegan bodybuilders out there, and is a native of Corvallis, Oregon, where I went to school, and my parents currently reside. Early on in my process of going vegan, I definitely recall watching a video of Robert shopping for healthy, plant-based foods, which helped give me some options to restock my kitchen with.



After the event a several of us from Food Not Bombs also helped with gathering donations via 6 bike trailers(2 giant 8+footers too), and aided in a bit of impromptu cleaning up for Vegfest, breaking down tables and such. All told I didn't get back and done with refrigerating, storing, sorting etc of food until about midnight...a long, but rewarding day.


Oregonian Article with more info



 BONUS VIDEO:

And just found this video below the other day from The Vegan Activist. He, The Vegan Revolution and Plant-Based News have really been crushing it lately out of the UK-super inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment